A couple of days ago, I had a thought that I can’t believe that I’ve never had before:
“In terms of growing and seeing where I must go, I am not restricted to the state that I currently live in.”
When I think about applying to medical school, when I think about where I’m going to live in the future, I never get a clear image of me here. As a matter of fact, I’ve no idea where I’d like to go. So I started listing a few things I’d like to have, so as to help me make some sort of checklist for when I’m planning on finding a place to live in.
- The seasons – I love the Wind, the Rain, Thunder and Lightening, Cold spells, and I’d like to experience Snow as well. I like to have clear skies and a clear view of the Stars and the Moon. Anywhere I can feel some, if not all of these things would be most ideal for me.
- A Long Drive – Some of the best thinking I do, is when I’m on the road by myself. Music, with the windows down and I’m golden.
- Food – When I’m left on my own, I tend to find Mom & Pop restaurants more appealing than Fast Food. There’s a certain uniqueness to having an actual chef in the kitchen, putting effort into the meal placed before you. Also, I’d like to see as many diverse cuisines as possible, because… well because I love all sorts of food.
- Environment – Along with the seasons, I love nature, Trees, Mountains, Rivers Lakes, and Oceans. I love going out and enjoying the roughness of the boulders, the whisper of trees, the sounds of water in all of its forms. It’s soothing to the soul.
- People – Life is full of billions of people, and although I can handle them in bits and pieces sometimes, I’d much rather not be a hermit and not have anyone to speak to, quite honestly, I’d go insane. “No man is an island” is the phrase I’d use for this reason.
And that’s all I have so far. In terms of rural, country, surburban or an urban setting, I’m not sure if I have a preference. But I know that these 5 things are what I’m constantly considering when I’m picturing a future out there somewhere, and that’s why when I’m going to leave, I’ll be looking for a place where these things will be in abundance.